Friday, April 22, 2005

Another aimless Friday

My student cancelled his class this morning, which allowed for another aimless Friday in Santiago. I met up with my American friend Mel at the metro and we went to Pablo Neruda`s house, La Chascona. We were greeted by a gaggle of schoolchildren wearing nametags and green baseball hats. After making our way through the kids we scored tickets to the English tour. Our guide was pretty normal at first, but I saw trouble coming when in the first 15 minutes he dropped the words "activist" and "political" more than "Pablo" or "Neruda". This wouldn`t have been so bad if it hadn`t been for the hippie girl from Pennsylvania who sighed in agreement with every one of Gonzalo`s non-house tour remarks. Mel and I left the tour realizing that the reason why Neruda is such a rock star, unlike Gabriela Mistral (the first woman and Latin American to the win the Nobel Prize), is that he collected lots of crap housed in several estates. Viva la revolucion!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just have a few comments to make about that trip. I, being the American girl Mel, cannot resist the temptation to express my most sincere gratitude that Doris invited me on this wonderful adventure. I will never forget the feeling of terror I experienced when our tour guide mentioned bombing a large tower that looked like a cell phone. He said, quote: If someone bombed that building with people in it I wouldn´t care. It is a TRAVESTY to our cultural identify. or some other leftist-terrorist remark like that. Doris, I will never forget you and our wonderous adventure. Thank you for letting me into your world!!

25 April, 2005 13:32  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POWER TO THE PEOPLE !!

04 July, 2005 08:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

get a sense of humor, that's all, or read a couple of books on Neruda, if you think he's famous just for the collections, that's beacause that's all you've seen!!
Bombing a tower is not just for leftist terrosrist only by the way, if you really think that, well... you may want to try to get a degree on ignorace.

18 December, 2006 16:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home