Thursday, December 01, 2005

Dear Mel,

I was reading the last pages of the Miami Herald yesterday over breakfast when I came across a call to arms. A nice woman in South Dade let it be known that the DREAM Act had been reintroduced.

Just weeks before I had clumsily put together a policy proposal for this very issue during a heated argument about the American dream, immigrants, and minority students. What these senators are proposing is definitely better. This issue is real and will become a frustrating burden for all citizens to bear in the next fifty years, when Hispanics become a quarter of the population. The way I see it, the government is already spending money on Hispanics be it on welfare, housing, or loan assistance. This is a preventative measure that will generate educated and capable leaders in communities that desperately need them. Which is why I emailed Mel and Bill after I finished my cereal. I had participated in democracy all before 10am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home